Graduate Student Internship
Summary of Duties
This position will work on a variety of initiatives related to planning, policy development, and data analysis for the Northeast Corridor Commission. The Commission was established by Congress in the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 to coordinate agencies that share the region’s core rail network. The Commission has been administratively hosted by Amtrak since 2011.
The Commission seeks a graduate student to support all aspects of the Commission’s activities. Working closely with a small, collaborative team, the intern will have the opportunity to shape project work in coordination with Commission staff. The intern will be responsible for data collection and analysis, policy research, preparation of public reports, website content development, and other tasks as assigned.
Successful candidates will demonstrate a willingness to undertake unfamiliar initiatives and strong enthusiasm for the Commission’s work.
During the summer of 2017, the internship is a full-time, paid position located at the Commission’s offices in Washington, DC with the potential to continue part-time remotely during the subsequent school year.
- Gather and analyze transportation, socio-economic, financial, and other data on the NEC, in support of all Commission activities.
- Create content for the Commission website, including generating ideas for new content and executing written and graphical features.
- Support the development of reports and other external documents, by developing written content and graphics, reviewing outlines and written drafts, and providing data analysis.
- Candidates should be currently pursuing a graduate degree in transportation, public policy, planning, business, or finance.
- Experience collecting, evaluating, and interpreting quantitative data.
- Excellent computer skills in data analysis (specifically direct experience using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access), word processing, and graphic design.
- Strong skills in written, verbal, and graphic communication of quantitative and qualitative information, including the ability to clearly express technical concepts to wide audiences.
- An ability to build relationships with all levels of an organization, work in a fast-paced office environment with tight deadlines, and stay organized and detailed-oriented while participating in a wide range of tasks.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite, data visualization, and/or geographic information systems (GIS).
- Experience with web development, including the WordPress Content Management System, is a plus.
The Commission is administratively hosted by Amtrak. Please file an application at https://jobs.amtrak.com/job/Washington-Intern Graduate-90204760-Washington-DC-20002/396646200/.